Our Commodore and Board have correctly identified demographic challenges many clubs like PSA must address. Eliminating the initiation fee for younger new members is a significant development that should attract sailors in this age group. Some interesting new ideas were also floated at the April members meeting - and this serves to expand on one of them - a new membership category.
Reading through the current Junior Member by-law, existing juniors who do not apply for Senor membership by age 27 are forced to resign. This proposal serves to provide a path for that group to remain active - if they are not ready to make the transition to Senior status, and potentially recruit some new members as well.
Please feel free to offer any thoughtful and constructive comments that will help PSA increase our younger member group! This is simply a template that can be refined over the summer and hopefully presented in the fall.
“Millenial+” a new PSA membership opportunity
A Millenial+ member shall enjoy all the privileges of existing Senior members with the following conditions:
• No voting or stockholder rights
• May apply if over 27 but under 40 years of age and does not own an interest in a sailing vessel over 21 feet
• May use PSA owned boats with liability waiver and adequate credentials related to water sports activities
• No Initiation fee
• Expected to participate in all club activities including work parties and social functions
• Automatically converts to Senior status when either of the following conditions is met: (a) acquires an interest in a sailing vessel over 21 feet in length or (b) reaches the age of 45
• Upon conversion to Senior status, acquires stockholder and voting rights
• Annual fees assessed will be $250 and may be adjusted periodically as determined by the board of directors
• Subject to a one year probationary period with review and final vote of approval by the membership
• This member class will be subject to a limit not to exceed 15 members
• Must follow standard member application procedures including two sponsors and application fee.
• Can moor a vessel under 21 ft at PSA depending on availability and pay storage fees as determined by the fleet captain
• Current and former Senior members may not apply for this member class
Some issues to tweak:
Should this group receive any seniority credit for being a PSA member?
Would a seniority credit apply to Life status and harbor slip/mooring assignments?
Is class limit of 15 adequate?
Is vessel size too large / small?
Are age references appropriate?
Is Fee of $250 fair?
Should members be allowed to switch from Senor to Ml+ at will?
Is there a more appropriate name for this group?