Historical Timeline Submitted by Leah and Teddy Alfriend
Work mostly done by the Members
PSA’s land tract was originally called “Piney Plains." (For more information on the Native American tribes that inhabited the Magothy, and the first few hundred years of colonization by Europeans, we highly recommend the book My River Speaks, by Marianna Taylor, and American Indians in the Baltimore Area, Technical Series No. 3, by Louise E. Akerson.)
1899 - John Cooper & Christina Cooper (1st wife) purchased the land.
6/27/1907 - Bruce Anderson & Joshua Linthicum purchased the land from Christina Groot (second wife) and John Cooper (deceased).
June 1909 - Thomas Biddison purchased the land from Bruce Anderson & Joshua Linthicum.
June 1910 - Winter & Bertha Myers purchased the property from Thomas Biddison.
PSA’s first clubhouse was at the Rogers-Townsend Boatyard at Wall Cove in Rock
Creek. They rented a two story farm house and repaired the walls and floors. Two
boatyard employees lived upstairs.
November 14, 1938 - PSA’s first meeting was at the Abbey hotel in Baltimore. Dinner
including one drink was $1.00. Dues that year were $8.00.
By September 1939 - There were 24 boats and 44 members.
June 1939 - PSA had the first Overnight Race ( now called the Moonlight Race )
May 19, 1940 - The Delta class was formed.
1946 to 1947 - Three properties were looked at for a new club property, and Blackhole Creek was
decided on. The PSA deed was signed on April 10, 1947.
April 10, 1947 - PSA purchased the property from Theodore & Eloise Schluederberg.
February 28, 1947 - PSA decided to incorporate.
April 10, 1947 - PSA had their first stock holder meeting at the University Club in Baltimore.
Spring 1947 - There was already a short single pier in the present location of the main pier. Only smaller
boats could put their bows to the dock to load up. There were no slips or tie off pilings.
1948 & 1949 - The channel into Black hole Creek was dredged twice.
April 14, 1949 - The Army Corps of Engineers gave permission for an anchorage in the harbor.
1948 to 1949 - Driveway to the middle parking lot was made.
1950 - Kenneth Miller ( a PSA member ) designed a cinder block building which was built as PSA’s new clubhouse. Also the old oar house that was already there was rebuilt.
1953 – The lower lawn which was a swamp area was filled in. A short boat ramp was also built.
1955 – A short dinghy dock was built.
1960 - The gin pole was installed and also the flag pole.
1962 - A porch was added to the clubhouse and the clubhouse expanded.
1963 - Driveways and parking facilities were expanded.
1965 - A 100’ pier extension with 56’ T end was added to the main pier.
1966 - The well was expanded in size.
1980 - A brick patio was added off the kitchen and porch area.
1991 - A cinder block retaining wall between the main pier and the dinghy dock was built
and white rocks on the bank.
1991 - A new main pier was constructed by Cyr’s Marine Construction. The
electric and plumbing to the docks was also upgraded. That is a continuous job.
1993 - The boat ramp was expanded.
1994 - The first female members were voted into the club.
1994 - The turning circle and lower parking area was expanded and the wood retaining
1995 - The kitchen was redesigned with new counters, floor, windows, lights, etc.
1997 - The pump out was installed.
1997 - Family Membership was voted in.
2006 - New windows in the main part of the clubhouse were installed.
2010 - The men’s room was remodeled, and new ceiling fans, gas grill, and hot water heater purchased.
2011 - PSA elected their first female Commodore.
2011 - The women’s room was remodeled. A new kitchen stove and microwave were installed.
2012 to 2014 - Upgrade to the mooring field to Pyramid style anchors.
2015 to 2016 – New electric to the main pier
2015 – New outer channel markers
2016 to 2017 - Repairs and new paint and stays on Gin Pole
2017 - New floor in Clubhouse and new roof
2017 - New rub railings on Pier
2018 - Continual replacement of boards on piers
2018 - New clubhouse deck extension and railing
2018 - Middle parking lot widened and new bulkhead and gravel
2019 – a new gas grill was purchased
2019 – the decking was finished on the main pier and was painted/sealed
2019 – driveway and turning circle was sealed
2019 – new HVAC/propane system installed
2019 – 2 new propane tanks and removal of oil tank
2019 – 2 trees removed
2019 – new shed refrigerator
2019 – new plantings by the oar house, and the lower lawn fertilized and seeded
2019 – moorings were inspected
2019 – Jr. sail purchased new boats
2020 – Porch shutters, ceiling and posts were painted
2020 – upper parking area was cleared of weeds and gravel put down
2020 – final moorings were inspected
2020 – more work on lower lawn to help retain grass and control run off
2020 – porch floor was painted and sealed
2021 – upper parking lot was widened and gravel spread
2021 – new rafts built
2021 – new filter fabric and stone on water’s edge by lower lawn
2021 – large tree cut down on upper parking lot
2022 – new flooring in main room, hallway and kitchen
2022 – new refrigerator
2022 – new PSA chase boat
2022 – new stone driveway retaining wall and new plants
2022 – repair boat ramp
2022 – build one new raft
2022 – repair and new roof on entertainment shed
2022 – new phone boxes on the pier
2022 – new retaining wall down driveway to turning circle
2022 – new water filter system in men’s room
2022 – new tie off piling at end of the dock
2022 – dead trees removed
2023 – 2 new rafts built
2023 – staining and sealing wood retaining wall by main parking lot
2023 – repairs and new roof and steps on the Jr. sail shed